Monday, April 25, 2011

Stockinette Shawl Pattern

As promised, here's a free pattern. I call it the Stockinette Shawl. It's not exactly an original idea, but I felt like it's not written down (that I can find, if you have a pattern written out, please let me know so I can credit you. I didn't find this pattern anywhere online, it came from my brain, which is a very scary place.) and would be a nice, easy project for beginners. It's so easy and a great way to show slow repeating self striping yarn.
Materials: Size 6 US 16" Circular Needles
2 skeins of Lion Brand Amazing in the Mauna Loa colorway
Stitch Markers

Gauge: Not important.

Abbreviations: CO- Cast On, K- Knit, P- Purl, Sts- Stitches, YO- Yarn Over

Ready....Set....GO!

CO 3 Sts and K 6 rows. Do not turn the last row. Pick up 3 stitches on the edge garter ridges then pick up 3 stitches on the CO edge.

Row 1: K3, P3, K3
Row 2: K3, place marker, YO, K1, YO, place marker, K1 (center stitch), YO, K1, YO, place marker, K3
Row 3 and all wrong side rows: K3, slip marker, P to marker, slip marker, P to next marker, K3
Row 4 and all right side rows: K3, slip marker, YO, K to marker, YO, slip marker, K1, YO, K to marker, YO, slip marker, K3.

Continue Rows 3 and 4 until you only have enough yarn to bind off. End with Row 3. I did a bind off by knitting through the back loop, which made for a stretchier edging. This shawl has an intentional curl to it even after blocking. If you don't want a curl, do 3-5 rows of garter stitch edging and it will lay flat.

Block according to yarn manufacturer's label.

This pattern is so simple, I really don't care what you do with it but please don't go commercial with it.

Enjoy! I hope you liked this pattern. Look for more in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment