Monday, April 25, 2011

Stockinette Shawl Pattern

As promised, here's a free pattern. I call it the Stockinette Shawl. It's not exactly an original idea, but I felt like it's not written down (that I can find, if you have a pattern written out, please let me know so I can credit you. I didn't find this pattern anywhere online, it came from my brain, which is a very scary place.) and would be a nice, easy project for beginners. It's so easy and a great way to show slow repeating self striping yarn.
Materials: Size 6 US 16" Circular Needles
2 skeins of Lion Brand Amazing in the Mauna Loa colorway
Stitch Markers

Gauge: Not important.

Abbreviations: CO- Cast On, K- Knit, P- Purl, Sts- Stitches, YO- Yarn Over

Ready....Set....GO!

CO 3 Sts and K 6 rows. Do not turn the last row. Pick up 3 stitches on the edge garter ridges then pick up 3 stitches on the CO edge.

Row 1: K3, P3, K3
Row 2: K3, place marker, YO, K1, YO, place marker, K1 (center stitch), YO, K1, YO, place marker, K3
Row 3 and all wrong side rows: K3, slip marker, P to marker, slip marker, P to next marker, K3
Row 4 and all right side rows: K3, slip marker, YO, K to marker, YO, slip marker, K1, YO, K to marker, YO, slip marker, K3.

Continue Rows 3 and 4 until you only have enough yarn to bind off. End with Row 3. I did a bind off by knitting through the back loop, which made for a stretchier edging. This shawl has an intentional curl to it even after blocking. If you don't want a curl, do 3-5 rows of garter stitch edging and it will lay flat.

Block according to yarn manufacturer's label.

This pattern is so simple, I really don't care what you do with it but please don't go commercial with it.

Enjoy! I hope you liked this pattern. Look for more in the future.

1 comment:

  1. I love this pattern. I've worked it by the pattern, modified it to add various width stripes, changed to garter stitch. It works up quickly, it doesn't require reference to the pattern once I got going. This is definitely been one of my favorite toss in a bag to take along project.

    Also one of the shawls I made from it was of great use while traveling. Easy to tuck away, warm, and attractive. Thank you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete